View Single Post
Old 11-14-2003, 08:36 AM

problems with avatars

Hi Farshid,

I'll try making the avatar smile at a lower % to see if that helps. Although I have already tried really cranking down the factor in the filterHead.py script which helped some, but I had brought the emotional expressions down about as low as I could tolerate (they are pretty subtle now as it is). I'm worried that going even lower on the smile% will produce an unnoticable smile, but it's worth a try. If that doesn't work, do you have any suggestions. I'm not quite sure how the filterHead script works, but I was wondering if there was a way to minimize those particular polygons somehow.

I actually tried taking one of my heads into 3D Studio Max and trying to pull in the polygons, but that didn't seem to do much. So it seems that it's not really where the polygons are relative to the head in the model (although I guess it could be), but rather, it seems to be what is happening when I issue a smile command. So let me know if you think of anything else to help with this problem.

Regarding the eye movements, it's very possible that it's only moving the texture, which is just fine with me. The real problem seems to be that it's applying the wrong texture map to the eyes. According to Alex, this used to work just fine under VRUT, but it doesn't now under Vizard. Any ideas about what might have changed that would have affected this? Also, any idea about where it is looking for the texture for the eyes. If I can change the .jpg designation it's looking for, it might solve the problem. I just can't find where's it's finding that information.

Finally, as for the avstu commands, the documentation I have only tells what commands 1-8 and 100-500 do. But the avatar.py script uses a bunch of others (the one's I remember were 12, 1000, 600, and maybe some other ones in the hundreds). So it appears that there is more functionality available, but I can't find that it's documented anywhere. So anything you can dig up would be really apprciated.

Thanks

Kim