View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 10:29 AM
WorldViz Team Member

Hi JvdBosch,

I took a look at the files in your model.

Tree Lines: Tiling is the cause of the lines appearing on the trees, though I see I wasn't very clear in my previous post what part of the model I was talking about.
Wall Transparency: Your wall texture, baksteen_CrRedGrain (Custom).bmp, has an alpha channel. The alpha is slightly gray at the borders, and this is causing the transparency issue. I'd guess the gray border probably came from re-scaling the image. I've attached a copy of the BMP with the alpha channel removed (.zip), along with a screenshot showing the problem. In Vizard, any alpha channel found in the diffuse texture is automatically used for transparency. (Bitmap_Alpha_Issue.jpg)
Multisampled Alpha: The code looks correct and the effect works correctly for me in the provided example. If this isn't working on yours, then my best guess at the moment is that it may not be supported by your graphics card. I've attached a screenshot of what it looks like on my workstation with an unmodifed version of your tree model (Tree_SampledAlpha_NoLineFix.jpg). When multisampled alpha is working correctly, you should see a screen door artifact when close to the transparent parts of a model (ScreenDoorArtifact.jpg). This artifact lessens at higher multisampling levels, though the banding generally stays.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bitmap_Alpha_Issue.jpg
Views:	1824
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	548   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tree_SampledAlpha_NoLineFix.jpg
Views:	1831
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	549   Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenDoorArtifact.jpg
Views:	1787
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	550  
Attached Files
File Type: zip baksteen_CrRedGrain_noAlpha.zip (576.8 KB, 1987 views)