View Single Post
Old 09-21-2016, 05:19 PM
WorldViz Team Member

Hi tokola,

I've been taking a look at your file today and have noticed the following things:
  • When I export (currently from Max 2016) I am not able to reproduce your issue. It also seem to not make a difference which options I'm turning on or off
  • When comparing the two models within inspector, the main difference I see, other than texture changes, are that the old model has much more pronounced normals than the new one. (see inspector-normals.jpg)
  • The geometry in the Max model is using explicit normals, which appear in green if an "Edit Normals" modifier is applied. (see edit-normals.jpg)
  • All the models in Max have a large scale factor applied. This shouldn't affect the smoothing but does explaining why "SantrifujHolder" has its normals scaled pretty far in the Y direction.

Can I get a copy of your export settings? I'd like to see if I can reproduce your issue so I can submit it as a bug. You can save them out as a preset file from the lower left of the OSG exporter window.Normally explicit normals should not cause issues as long as the original geometry is not modified, but they can interact strangely with anything that modified the vertex order (e.g. use indices option).

(Here's what I believe should fix your issue: )
They can be removed by adding an "edit normals" modifier, selecting all the normals, then hitting "reset" which resets them to their true positions. This also destroys any smoothing that may have been applied using the edit normals modifier, which will need to be added back in with smoothing groups.

Usually explicit normals come from importing geometry into Max from another program, but they can also be put in place intentionally when a user wants greater control over surface normals than smoothing groups allow. They usually work correctly with the exporter, but on occasion things like tristripping and the use indicies option can cause unintended results.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	inspector-normals.jpg
Views:	709
Size:	339.7 KB
ID:	822   Click image for larger version

Name:	edit-normals.jpg
Views:	696
Size:	245.9 KB
ID:	823