View Single Post
Old 11-05-2013, 09:20 AM

Maybe you can start here, and see if this helps you. I will search through my handbook of eye movements and see if there is something else in there. The problem with direct gaze contact is, of course, if you don't have eyetracking, it doesn't seem as if the agent is engaging in joint attention, and participant will not see the agent interactive nor responsive. Now, if that doesn't matter to you, you are fine, just make the avatar blink less often, per literature. If you are trying to establish some sort of joint interaction between an avatar and a participant, you will have to give them some type of an object to focus on, and you will have to make the avatar artificially responsive to participant's gaze (tell participant to look at the object B, and wowmiracle, avatar looks there, too).

Also, if your avatar is supposed to be a dominant personality, like a teacher or a tutor or a presenter, it doesn't really matter if there is joint attention or interaction between your participant and an avatar, dominant personalities usually just initiate joint attention and it is up to the participant if they will follow avatar's gaze or not.

You can also make your avatar more or less trusting, depending on the amount of direct gaze it produces.

Just out of curiosity, what are you working on? I might be attacking you with social psychology and you are making a cartoon where everything is prescripted