View Single Post
Old 11-26-2007, 11:37 AM

Flock of Birds question (again)

If I collect with the Birds through Vizard, I get a different number of data points each time I run the program. Even if I standardize the collection rate at "(1.0/30)" because I want it to collect at 30 Hz. So I should be getting 1800 data points all of the time. The problem is that sometimes I get 1700, sometimes 1800, often times a completely random value like 1793, etc.

def onkeydown(key):
if key == ' ':
viz.starttimer(0,(1.0/30),viz.FOREVER)
viz.starttimer(4,(1.0/30),viz.FOREVER)
viz.starttimer(3,60,1)

Is this a problem with the code or a processing speed problem? I'm using an old computer (and it happens to be the only one I can use) so if it's a problem with the processing speed of the computer then it could be a problem. Also the way the Birds are hooked up are that all 6 of them can be "plugged into" the other computer (the one with MotionMonitor) but on the computer with Vizard only Bird 1 can be plugged and subsequent birds are read through that. That being said, could that be contributing to a slow processing speed--the fact that everything has to be channelled through 1 Bird?

I hope it's something in the code that I'm missing because that would save me a lot of hassle. So If I'm trying to standardize my data collection and collect at 30 Hz for 60 seconds and get 1800 data points everytime (or at the very least some consistent amount of data points close to 1800) is there something in the code that I'm missing?

Sorry to be long-winded.

Thanks for the help in advance.