View Single Post
Old 05-25-2010, 08:05 AM

basic lighting question

Hi,
not being an expert in lighting, GL, etc. this may be a very simple question.

I need to create rather simple environments for experiments. Currently I use Sketchup to create those and then export them to either 3ds or vrml.
After loading them into Vizard, the lighting is really not what I am looking for.
I understand that there is a head-light by default and that I can add other light sources. However, the lighting appears to be polygon based rather than pixel based (obviously this gives strange artifacts when moving through the environment -> entire polygons turn black when turning etc - even after diabling the head-light). Is there any option I have overlooked so far to change lighting to be pixel based rather than polygon based?

An alternative that I used earlier was to use no light source at all, but to make all the materials emissive. I know that this does not give a natural lighting, but for many experiments it is sufficient and I do not have to worry about different lightintensities depending on where I place my lights. However, I have not yet figured out how to make materials emissive in Sketchup (I understand that this is not a Sketchup forum, but maybe one of you has an answer).

I would appreciate any help,
thanks in advance,
malte