View Single Post
Old 09-15-2008, 05:03 AM

First of all thanks for these quick responses.
For a little more information about the device which is being developed:

This will be a haptics device for the human arm with 3 DoF in the beginning.
Somewhat similar to allready existing solutions like the desktop devices that are out there (sensable, novint etc.).
So if I understood that right: the plugin sdk is somewhat only the abstraction layer between the driver interface/api of the developer of a hd and the python layer in vizard.

So this means you are actually giving the connected haptics device the commands for example for force presentation via the command function provided in your plugin sdk.
Now I saw in your examples regarding the openhaptics by sensable that you are actually using predefined functions of their api in order to render certain haptic effects like springforce, dampened force etc.
So by "vizard has no built in haptics functions" you actually mean that the functions for rendering the displayed forces by their fxtype is not regarded by vizard.
For haptic rendering I would then at least need information about colliding objects in the scenegraph and their positions in order to calculate the forces in my haptics device api/driver.

I hope I kind of reasoned correctly.

cheers,

xabbu