View Single Post
Old 08-07-2006, 06:41 PM

Trafffic ideas.. anyone?

While I'm still figuring out character animation, I'm facing another questions.
Perhaps someone can give me an idea how would I proceed??

This is a separate project which I'm *kind of* responsible for.

I'm trying to create a futuristic city-scape with traffic, flying vehicle in many different direction. The city is going to have 5 layers of traffics and 1 subway train.
Followings are my polygons budget;
1) max 100 polys for buildings, there will be at least 15-20 buildings. Tex res would be 512 - 1024.
2) max 100 polys for cars/taxis/buses/common vehicle, there will be at least 20 can be seen at a time (out of 40). Texture resolution would be at most 256. Detail are not necesarry because they would be moving quite fast anyway.
3) max 100 polys for the Train. Max Teture res 256.
4) other things, like street light, clothlines, neon signs, water tank, spaceport, would be at most also 100 polys, with max texture size
5)I'd like to hide more details by using Fog and Smoke, this way we could get away with lots of details and we could use even more lower texture.

The question; How would I simulate the traffic/flying vehicles in Vizard?
I did try to create moving box on a path and I did export it out in OSG format with the animation (with loop option) from Blender, but vizard only imported the model.
This could be a mistake from my end, I'm still investigating this.

Current Solution;I created at least 45 control points for path animation (for one box) in Vizard then I use the loop option and cubic bezier (to replicate exact animation in blender). Well it worked!!! All right!!!.
But how would I do say 20 boxes to follow each other like in traffic? If I need to have 4 layers of traffic, 20 cars, do I need to create at least 45 x 20 x 4 = 3600 control points for the paths?

I would be happy to hear if anyone has got a better idea how to accomplish this.

Kind Regards,
Iwan