View Single Post
Old 04-12-2017, 01:58 PM
WorldViz Team Member

@Raj: It sure can be. Back when I was exporting the Complete Characters libraries to Cal3D, getting all 50 out with each of their animations was a big enough chore that I ended up modifying an old maxscript someone wrote to help me along.

It's somewhat buggy and hasn't been tested in the current version of Max, so isn't something that we'd put as part of a release or support in any meaningful way, but I've attached it if anyone would like to mess around with it or use it as a starting point for their own code.

As for blendshapes... Cal3D supports the export of morph targets, and follows the usual rule that requires them to have the same number of vertices. A morph target for a mesh is exported as a new mesh, then in the CFG file you write it like below.

Max 2016 and later seems to have a quirk that can mess with the vertex count upon export that we haven't found a solution for yet. It should still work correctly with versions earlier than 2016.

Code:
mesh = head.cmf
morph = head_happy.cmf
morph = head_sad.cmf
morph = head_angry.cmf

mesh = body.cmf
morph = body_muscular.cmf
morph = body_thin.cmf
morph = body_chubby.cmf
@Dhananjay: While I can't be specific about upcoming features, but it should be safe to tell you that we know the current export process for Cal3D is a headache to use (it's certainly given me a few) and we're working on a solution to the problem.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Cal3d Mass Exporter_2017-04-12.zip (30.5 KB, 912 views)