View Single Post
Old 01-22-2014, 10:26 AM

Feedback on Documentation

Hi WorldViz,

after trying the Beta for some time now here are my remarks about the Vizard Documentation:
  1. generally: some commands accept parameters that are not described, only through the examples you find these parameters. E.g. in Tutorials & Examples » Example scripts » World demos » Duck court the viz.addText and viz.addAvatar commands; others that I know of are addLight or the vizshape.add* commands. They accept at least pos, scale or color.
    I seem to remember that some time ago this was indicated in the command index as *arg, **kw arguments but without an explanation of possible parameter tags. Rather than omitting these parameters I would like them parameter tags listed.
  2. The What's New page omits to say that hotspots do now generate a deprecation warning and have been removed from documentation
  3. The command set of some modules cannot be found in the Vizard Command Index. What I'm missing are vizdlg, vizinfo, vizproximity, but there might be more.
  4. In some places in the See also section there are unlinked references. I found these:
    • Primer on networking
      This is not a link in
      • Reference » Networking » viznet
      • Reference » Networking » Networking command table
      • Reference » Networking » Multi User Environment
      • Reference » Networking » Networking basics ; this one is especially troublesome as in the first section on the page it is especially recommended to read that primer (what is probably just another missing link...)
    • viztip
      This is not a link in
      • Reference » Graphical user interfaces (GUIs) » vizpopup
      • Reference » Graphical user interfaces (GUIs) » GUI elements » GUI elements
      • Reference » Graphical user interfaces (GUIs) » Organizing GUIs » Making pop-downs with vizmenu
      • Reference » Graphical user interfaces (GUIs) » Organizing GUIs » Organizing GUIs with vizinfo
      • Reference » Graphical user interfaces (GUIs) » HTML and web browsers » Displaying HTML
      • and several more
  5. What I could not find easily was the information of available keyboard shortcuts during a simulation. Eventually I found that hidden in Command Index » Vizard modules » viz » <viz>.go and Reference » Events » Event basics. Not my first choice to look at, personally. My recommendation would be to add this information to these pages
    • The Vizard IDE » Keyboard shortcuts
    • and also in a section on The Vizard IDE » Running scripts » Running scripts (like it is done in The Vizard IDE » Running scripts » Interactive Window)

Hope that helps,
Best Regards, Walter