View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 06:13 AM

Thanks to both farshizzo and Gladsomebeast for answering my question. I was looking with some colleagues of mine and we all agreed that the example that I was trying to get across wasn't very representative.

I'll give a little more background of what we're doing. I have Kinect here for very simple headtracking. I'm also using a Space Navigator for navigation. At the moment I have 2 42" television set up in a 90 degree angle on a table. I'm using these to try out a few things. This week I intend to order 6 42" 3d television to build a 'mini-CAVE'. The idea is to put these in a 3x2 setup, where one row is pretty much at eye-level and the other row is below the first row and tilted at a 45 degree angle towards the user.

When playing around with our test setup a lot of colleagues who came by mentioned that it seemed that objects were 'moving away from them' when they approached the televisions. At first I thought that this was because of the whole window analogy, as Gladsomebeast has explained. But, people insisted that things were moving away from them so I tried out some things. When I stopped working with the 'caveorigin' node (from the cave example) but started moving the scene itself around, people stopped mentioning that they thought things were 'moving away from them'. I've been verifying with a collegue of mine today and we both agree that there does seem to be a perspective difference between moving the caveorigin node and the scene itself, mostly visible when turning at non-90 degree angles. We're still arguing whether this is a mind-trick or a real effect.

Unfortunately, I have been unable to create some pictures or a movie that demonstrates this effect. The scene where this effect is most noticeable is within a scene that we are working on here that is still classified, so I can't post it.

To roughly sketch what we are looking at, is a scene which has a window in the scene. We place the window on top of the televisions in one position and then start moving. When moving with the caveorigin node, the frame of the window moves backward when we approach the screen, when moving with the scene itself, the frame of the window stays where it is supposed to stay.

I'll keep working on a convincing set of pictures or video to demonstrate this effect and hope to be able to get back to you.

Kind regards,

Victor