View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012, 05:23 AM

vizcave head tracking curiosity

Dear Sir/Madam,

For the past couple of weeks I have had the fortune of getting to know Vizard better. I have had a number of demonstrations of CAVE systems that were using Vizard and I'm in the process of building our own PowerWall. This in order to convince other people in my company that this is really useful technology and try and persuade others to support my quest for our own CAVE.

I find the examples and forums that I have found here to be very helpful and I'm getting along quite well with building our PowerWall. There is one thing that has me stumped though and that is the head tracking. I do hope that my question hasn't been asked before, but my searches have not been able to turn up an answer.

I have been trying out the example found here: http://docs.worldviz.com/vizard/Vizcave.htm
I simply run this single display script on my desktop computer. I have many different ways of demonstrating the behavior that confuses me, but without actually being there, I will try to suffice with a description.

I start the script and use the mouse to rotate so that I am facing the right hand wall (the small wall with the 'Mona Lisa' is just visible on the left hand side of the screen). If I now use the 'w' key to simulate moving my head forward, the effect that I get is confusing to me. It seems like the warping effect that occurs is what I would expect to see if my screen were configured as the left-hand wall of a CAVE.

According to the documentation I should use the caveorigin as a node to move myself around in the virtual environment. But I see confusing behavior as soon as I start rotating around this caveorigin (in this case with the mouse) and then moving forward/backward with the 'w' and 's' keys.

Could you please try out the use-case scenario that I have described and let me know how it works for you? Am I doing something wrong, is there some setting that I am overlooking? If it would help, I will gladly make a small video demonstrating this behavior if I know where to send it to.

Many thanks and kind regards,

Victor