View Single Post
Old 01-22-2010, 03:49 PM

Ah, thanks now I think I get it. Can you read the following to make sure I am understanding you correctly?

Yes, we appear to have the same hardware setup - an input to the image box from the computer. And then a special wire going to the imagine (plus I think two other wires, one for USB power? and another four sound?). Finally there is what I believe is our backfeed. The wire coming out of this does indeed go to a monitor. This is why I think we have the same hardware setup.

In fact, I do most of my coding looking at the monitor and none of it looking through the VR goggles. To be sure we are "on the same page", when I run my code (in stereo mode) the monitor image shimmers but when I reach over and put on the VR goggles its 3D.

The odd thing about our system is that there is nothing on the monitor that is invisible in the HMD. I have a vague feeling (I could check with the worldviz folks who installed our system and/or worldviz support staff) that they reduced the resolution of my monitor so that it screen size exactly equals the HMD.

So, let me make sure I understand what you are doing. My guess is that your monitor has a better resolution than your HMD. It also has a bigger area capable of displaying. So, when you write your code you do it such that the computer outputs a relatively small image with which you intend to fill the HMD screen. However, the image that your code outputs is bigger than can fit in the HMD screen. It is to this leftover region in the bigger image that you display your experiment status information. This experimental status information appears only in your computer monitor because it is only the monitor that has the screen size that can allow the experimenter to see this experiment status info.

Is this correct?

If so, I suspect I'll ask the Worldviz people how I can increase my monitor resolution so that I can try your approach. Sounds much easier and less subject to error too.

Any more comments? Does this all seem to make sense and be congruent with your understanding of things?