View Single Post
Old 08-13-2003, 01:42 PM

Miscellaneous observations

Viz 2.08 has the following characteristics that I didn't see in v2.07:

When viewing a scene, it gets a case of the 'jerkies': ie, it will render smoothly for a second or two, then render jerkily for another 2 sec or so, then go back to being OK again, and so on.

Running the same scene on the still-installed v1.098, there are no such hiccupts. I tried this on two winXP computers here, with similar results.

Opening up the Windows Task Manager to observe the CPU usage indicates that v2.08 is using less CPU than v1.098 (~20% versus ~40-50%). Changing the application's priority to something about Normal doesn't seem to help.

The frame rate indicator naturally indicates a drop of FPS in v2.08, both during the hiccups (big loss) and otherwise (less dramatic loss). In v2.07, I was getting as many FPS as the monitors could retrace.

Also, the installer did not put a 'Vizard' executable shortcut in the start menu, when I installed it (I see 'Tutorials' and 'World Demos' folders, as well as 'Help," but not the executable icon). I started vizard though navigating to Vizard20's /bin/ directory, if that matters.