WorldViz User Forum

WorldViz User Forum (https://forum.worldviz.com/index.php)
-   Vizard (https://forum.worldviz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Keyboard shortcuts for debugging (https://forum.worldviz.com/showthread.php?t=3588)

kopper 03-11-2011 07:48 AM

Keyboard shortcuts for debugging

Hi,

I just started using Vizard R4 and it's working pretty well. I really like the built-in debugger (as opposed to manually use pdb) and the model viewer, as well as code completion. Overall, Vizard is much more usable now than it used to be.

One thing that I feel is lacking are keyboard shortcuts for stepping through the code. It's a little inconvenient to click the buttons, where I could just press an F-key and concentrate on the code itself.

Actually, it would be great if Vizard offered the possibility to customize keyboard shortcuts for any action. If that's added to the final, it'll be great, but, at least keyboard shortcuts for code stepping, I think, is very important.

Keep up the good work!

Regis

kopper 03-11-2011 08:23 AM

I tried to edit the post, but couldn't find how, I think it only allows to edit shortly after it was posted...

Another thing I'm missing is a stop debugging button (and shortcut)!

farshizzo 03-11-2011 08:56 AM

We plan on adding shortcuts for debug stepping commands. We are trying to figure out which keys would work the best. The problem with all these new features is that we are starting to run out of keyboard shortcuts.

Are you talking about having a toolbar button/shortcut for the Debugger -> Stop Debugging menu option?

kopper 03-11-2011 11:15 AM

I think shortcuts for stepping into, stepping over and stepping out should be close together. How about ctrl+[, ctrl+] and ctrl+\ for these actions?

Yes, I think it's annoying to have to go through menus to stop the debugger, especially because it needs to be done quite frequently. I was thinking a stop button next to the pause in the debug toolbar.

About shortcuts, in my view, the easiest to access should be the step actions. To stop the debugger, it could be something more obscure, like ctrl+shift+F5.

Any plans on making customized shortcuts available?

farshizzo 03-11-2011 11:27 AM

You can already customize the toolbar buttons.
  • Right click anywhere in the toolbar and click Customize
  • Select the Commands tab
  • Find the menu option in the Categories/Commands list
  • Drag and drop the command onto any of the toolbars

We already had the functionality to customize shortcuts, but there were some minor issues with it, so it was disabled for the beta release.

kopper 03-16-2011 08:55 AM

Thanks, farshizzo, that's very useful.

farshizzo 03-25-2011 05:23 PM

A new beta has been released, which adds keyboard shortcuts for debug step commands. Please let us know if you have any other suggestions.