WorldViz User Forum

WorldViz User Forum (https://forum.worldviz.com/index.php)
-   Vizard (https://forum.worldviz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Weird texture on .ive model viewed from Sensics HMD (https://forum.worldviz.com/showthread.php?t=3724)

Zhi 04-25-2011 04:15 PM

Weird texture on .ive model viewed from Sensics HMD

2 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

I am using Vizard 4 beta2. I have a Sensics xSight HMD with 6 panels on each eye. I export a 3D building model from 3ds max 9.0 to a .ive file. The model contains materials with textures. It looks fine in the 3ds max. It also looks fine if it is shown on the LCD monitor (as with viz.go() command). The problem is when I looked through the xSight HMD the texture looks really weird (see attached screen-shot, left).

The Sensics has a plug-in for Vizard, which is convenient for user to setup the HMD. Only needs two line codes:

import sensics
hmd=sensics.load(panelalign="panelalign.txt",layout="layout.txt",clearcolor=viz.BLACK)

The layout.txt file contains information where to output the images. If I output the images to the HMD (via two TripleHead2Go splitters), the images look weird as I shown above. However, if I output the images to a LCD monitor, it looks just fine (see attached screen-shot, right).

Does anyone has any idea why this happens? Is it a problem of Vizard or is it a problem with Sensics plug-in.

Thanks in advance.

Zhi 04-25-2011 06:29 PM

I forgot to tell that the weird texture only occurs to the .ive model. The texture attached to the objects that created by Vizard itself was just fine (such as the sky and the ground). The problem seems only related to the imported .ive model.

Zhi 04-26-2011 07:13 AM

It seems the problem is not caused by Sensics plug-in or the xSight HMD. In my code, I commented the Sensics lines and directly used the viz.go(viz.FULLSCREEN) method. I found whenever the image output to the normal LED monitor, the texture looks fine. However, when the image go through the Matrox TripleHead2Go splitter, the texture becomes weird. It seems that the problem is probably caused by the incompatibility between the Matrox and the Vizard (because previously when I used Virtools with the Matrox, there was no such a problem). If it is the case, what can I do now?

Zhi 04-26-2011 10:26 AM

I connected one output of the Matrox TripleHead2Go (which was feed to the xSight HMD) to a normal LCD monitor and the weird texture was seen on the LCD monitor as well. This clearly suggest that the problem I got is not caused by the Sensics HMD or the Sensics Vizard plug-in. It is apparently caused by the Matrox TripleHead2Go.

Since we used the same Matrox device with Virtools previously and it worked fine. I feel that the problem might due to the incompatibility between Matrox and Vizard. Or it might be a bug in the Vizard 4 beta2. I have not tested it with other version of the Vizard yet.

farshizzo 04-26-2011 11:33 AM

It looks like an issue with the OpenGL driver. Where did you get the .ive model from? Is it using compressed textures?

Zhi 04-26-2011 12:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by farshizzo (Post 12482)
It looks like an issue with the OpenGL driver. Where did you get the .ive model from? Is it using compressed textures?

The original model is a 3ds max 9 file. I exported it from the 3ds max 9 using the OSG exporter. See the attached screen-shot for the OSG settings. The .ive file is nearly 20M, so I could not attach it with this post. I don't know what is compressed texture. The textures in the max file are just normal bitmap textures.

Zhi 04-28-2011 06:41 AM

Hi farshizzo,

Do you have further suggestions?

farshizzo 04-29-2011 11:21 AM

Try disabling the "Free image memory" option. If that doesn't work then you'll need to open a support issue and supply the max file so our artist can have a look at it.

Zhi 05-10-2011 09:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by farshizzo (Post 12503)
Try disabling the "Free image memory" option. If that doesn't work then you'll need to open a support issue and supply the max file so our artist can have a look at it.

Unfortunately, disabling the "free image memory" option does not help. Attached figure was rendered under the viz.FULLSCREEN mode in Vizard. The left half image was the screen of a LED monitor, the right half image was the virtual screen generated by the Matrox TripleHead2Go splitter.

The weird texture was not happened to a particular 3ds model but to all the 3ds models I have exported to Vizard. It seems it is a problem of the compatibility between Matrox and Vizard (because Matrox with Virtools does not have such a problem).

I am using the beta2 version of Vizard 4. We have not bought Vizard yet. Am I eligible to the support. If I am, how to open an support issue. Thank you!

tobin 05-10-2011 09:54 PM

First, can you confirm that you still don’t get this artifact with other 3D software in conjunction with your triphead2go device? It seems to be an interaction between the triplehead2go drivers, your display drivers, and possibly Vizard. This will be difficult to replicate without the exact same hardware.

Second, it’s a bit of a shot in the dark, but have you tried exporting the IVE with DXT1 compression?

Re opening a support issue, you may go ahead and upload your MAX file to the dropbox below and we’ll have a look to see if there’s anything particularly unusual with it:

http://www.worldviz.com/support/upload.html

Zhi 05-11-2011 07:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Tobin,

I used the DXT1 compression. Now the problem solved (See attached screen-shot). Great! Thank you for your suggestion.

By the way, what is the difference between the different compression modes. How does user know which mode to use?

raj 02-25-2013 04:38 AM

Wired display issue

Hi

we having trouble in 3d display.
initially when we project with only one projector the display showing 3d on wall & also shows the 3d stereoscopic view with no issues.

But when we connect another Projector for cave mode. The display shows the pink & blue color tint on 3d content.

we have already replace the batteries of the 3d glasses.
Regards,

Rajesh