WorldViz User Forum

WorldViz User Forum (https://forum.worldviz.com/index.php)
-   Vizard (https://forum.worldviz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   'module' object is not callable??? (https://forum.worldviz.com/showthread.php?t=4417)

tokola 11-19-2012 04:39 PM

'module' object is not callable???

Hi there.:D
I am trying to do something seemingly simple. I want to have an avatar (steve) attached to different views and I am using the roboChase code in my own Player class (shown below). The class works fine if I run it but not when used as a module. More specifically, when I try to create a new Player object (p1=Player(viz.MainView)) then I get the following error:
Code:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "", line 2, in
TypeError: 'module' object is not callable

Can you please let me know what is the problem? The error message is kind of cryptic! Also, is there a better way to do the same thing, like linking the avatar with the viewpoint (and avoiding the view through the robot's head)?

Code:

import viz
import steve

class Player():
        """This is the Avatar class"""
        def __init__ (self, view):
                self._view = view
                self._player_matrix = viz.addGroup() #self.view.getMatrix()
                self._avatar = steve.Steve()
                self._avatar.setTracker(self._player_matrix)
                self._updateFunc = vizact.onupdate(0, self.Update)

def UpdatePlayer(self):
                pos = self._view.getPosition(viz.VIEW_ORI)
                quat= self._view.getQuat(viz.VIEW_ORI)
                self._player_matrix.setPosition(pos)
                self._player_matrix.setQuat(quat)

def Update(self):
                vizact.ontimer(0, self.UpdatePlayer)

Jeff 11-20-2012 04:27 PM

Can you post some example code where you import the module, create the Player object and get the error? The following worked fine for me. The only change I made to the module code was import the vizact library.
Code:

import viz
import PlayerModule
viz.go()

p1=PlayerModule.Player(viz.MainView)

Yes, it's possible to link the avatar to the viewpoint and then offset the avatar from the viewpoint using a link operator.

tokola 11-21-2012 10:48 AM

Thanks a lot Jeff,

it was eventually my carelessness, since I was using another class name not residing in the module:D

The linking works fine besides the fact that I can't get rid of the robot in the first person view, so it collides with the viewpoint and sends it to outer space! I am using the 'renderOnlyToWindows' command but it doesn't work, I assume because of the linking. If, on the other hand, I get rid of the view collision, then I can get through walls which is undesirable. What's the solution in such cases?

I have a similar problem with a hand cursor I have linked with the view in 3D space (not screen) which is offset 0.2m in front of the view and the view collides on it only when I am moving straight in one of the 4 directions. The only solution I found was to set the collisionBuffer() to zero, but then whenever I am too close to objects the cursor disappears behind them. Also collideNone() applied to the hand object doesn't resolve the problem.

Isn't there a way in both these cases to reset the collision of the object, so that it doesn't collide with the viewpoint?!? It seems such an easy fix but still...:confused:

Thanks a lot for your feedback!