Thread: HMD view jumps
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2017, 06:05 AM

HMD view jumps

Hi,

When I run my current Vizard program (in Vizard 5.7) and view using an HMD (Oculus Rift DK2 running SDK 1.16), the view occasionally jumps to the side and back again. It’s a flicker really, over in a second or less, but it’s quite jarring. This seems to happen at random intervals, often a few minutes or sometimes tens of minutes apart, and it happens regardless of whether or not the avatar is moving. It does not happen, as far as I can tell, on the 2D view I have running concurrently on the monitor, or in a separate program I wrote for 3D glasses that doesn’t use an HMD. I’ve used Vizconnect to set up all the interactions between HMD, tracker, game controller, avatar and transport, but Vizconnect doesn’t seem to be the problem because the jumping also occurs in an older Vizard program that I wrote without using Vizconnect.

To be honest, it’s difficult to make comparisons between programs because the intervals at which jumps occur are so variable. It might be that although jumping occurs in all my HMD programs, the frequency differs between them. A case in point is when using the HMD to view the Oculus ‘cityscape’ home site without running a Vizard program: in this case I have seen jumping happen once, but it seems very much less frequent than when running my current Vizard program.

I wonder if the jumping could be a hardware issue. My graphics card (an NVIDIA GTX970) meets the minimum system requirement for the Oculus Rift DK2 and I’m using a non-shared USB 3.0 port for the positional tracker. However, my processor is a bit slower than the minimum system requirement: it’s an Intel Xeon E5520 (4 cores, 8 threads, 2.26 GHz), whereas the minimum requirement specifies an Intel Core i5-4590 (4 cores, 4 threads, 3.3 GHz) (https://product-guides.oculus.com/en...on/dk2/latest/).

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Richard.