PDA

View Full Version : vizconnect getMovementScale

fivel_lab
12-25-2017, 12:49 PM
Hello
We are trying to use vizconnect's <WrappedAvatar>.setMovementScale() but we don't see any changes in the behavior of the avatar when it is moving. The vizconnect configuration uses Microsoft Kinect/FAAST as a tracker.

I have confirmed that I can change the movement scale VALUES:

SCALE = .1
myAvatar = vizconnect.getAvatar()
print 'Original movement scale: ' , myAvatar.getMovementScale()
myAvatar.setMovementScale([SCALE , SCALE , SCALE ])
print 'New movement scale: ' , myAvatar.getMovementScale()

but like I said above, this does not appear to do anything to the movement of the avatar. I've used values of SCALE as low as 1e-23 and as high as 10000, but the rendered movement seems identical no matter what the value is!

What does this method do, exactly? Am I missing some critical step to get it to work? Thank you!

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Jeff
12-26-2017, 06:45 PM
It looks like this command is not working with all avatar types. I just tested and it works with the head and hand avatar but not the mark avatar. You should be able to get the same result by applying a scale factor to the tracker links instead:

trackerLink = vizconnect.getTracker('head_tracker').getLink()
# Scale movements along ground plane by factor of 5
trackerLink.postScale([5,1,5])

fivel_lab
12-29-2017, 11:39 AM
great thanks.. we will check that out. Two questions:

1) if we want to use the vcc_male avatar, how do I figure out what the named key should be for the tracker in line 1 of your code? 'head_tracker' doesn't seem to work.
2) Can you give me a little more detail on the scaling function? I'm assuming that, if the tracker moves x units (let's say in the z-plane), then postScale([1,1,5]) would move the rendered avatar 5x units. Is that true? Also, can the scaling constant be less than zero?

Thanks!

fivel_lab
01-02-2018, 08:55 AM
Hope you had a nice New Year. Just following up on this post. Any advice? Thanks!

Jeff
01-04-2018, 02:58 AM
1) if we want to use the vcc_male avatar, how do I figure out what the named key should be for the tracker in line 1 of your code? 'head_tracker' doesn't seem to work.

The tracker name is the name given in the trackers tab of vizconnect.

2) Can you give me a little more detail on the scaling function? I'm assuming that, if the tracker moves x units (let's say in the z-plane), then postScale([1,1,5]) would move the rendered avatar 5x units. Is that true?

Yes, that should work

Also, can the scaling constant be less than zero?

It can be a number between 0 and 1 if you want to reduce the speed.