PDA

View Full Version : (unresponsive) winviz.exe

zumbay
11-15-2016, 01:43 PM
Hi,

when I try loading about 15 object models very close to each other I get the error message "(unresponsive) winviz.exe" in SteamVR.
When I add only half of the objects I have not encountered that problem yet. It works shortly when I load the 15 and increase the spacing between them.

I am using a HTC Vive and a free trial version of Vizard. I am running a GTX 1070.

Did somebody have similar issues or a solution for this? Is the free trial version maybe limited?

Thanks!

Jeff
11-15-2016, 05:24 PM
Does it work if you load the models in a simple script that does not connect to the Vive?

import viz
viz.go()

object1 = viz.addChild('object1.osgb')
object2 = viz.addChild('object2.osgb')
object15 = viz.addChild('object15.osgb')

How much memory do the 15 objects take up altogether?

zumbay
11-16-2016, 03:52 AM
I tried it out an it shows very inconsistent behaviour - most of the times when I execute the script it runs very choppy and not smooth at all, but every now and then I have a smooth run.
I tried not setting/varying "setMultiSample", but didn't find a clear pattern there. What always works is placing the models further apart.

The models I am loading are, taken together, 22MB.

Thanks!

zumbay
11-16-2016, 04:22 AM
Maybe this is helpful as well: when I add the models with a wide spacing (it runs smoothly), but then grab a couple of them with the controller and place them close to each other it freezes again...

Jeff
11-16-2016, 04:10 PM
Can you attach a screenshot that shows the render stats (http://docs.worldviz.com/vizard/#Performance.htm) when the models are close together and the framerate drops?

zumbay
11-17-2016, 03:23 AM
Yes, of course!
It seems I found the main reason for the frame drop: its the collideMesh() I am adding to the models.

I attached 2 images, showing the render stats for 2 versions of the same environment, once with and once without collideMesh() for each model.

Would be great if there is a way I could still be able to grab, move, and overlap this limited amount of objects.

thanks

Jeff
11-21-2016, 11:30 AM
Can you explain the reason for using the collide mesh? Do you need to have physics enabled for grabbing and placing objects?

zumbay
11-24-2016, 10:00 AM
You are right, I rewrote it so that I use the Grabber and that solved it!

I didn't use it from the start, as the experience was a bit limiting with larger objects due to measuring the distance to the objects center when grabbing.
But in this (http://forum.worldviz.com/showthread.php?t=5564) thread you provided a solution for this and now it works well!

Would be great if setting bounding box vs. object center would be an argument in the standard grabber tool!

Thanks!