PDA

View Full Version : can't load exported Cal3d Avatars from Autodesk Character Generator

Vaquero
02-24-2016, 05:22 PM
Hello! I'm still trying to get any character to work in vizard besides the ones that are delivered with the software. And it fails! Again.

This time I created an avatar with Autodesk's Character Generator (https://charactergenerator.autodesk.com). I followed the steps from the help.
Select the root bone, go to export, select Cal3d Skeleton file, set number of influences to 4 (because I want to use hardware skinning anyway), save.
I changed the materials to contain numbers in square brackets and set to Blinn shading model.
Then I selected the meshes in the file that I want to export (there are several resolutions), export as Cal3d Mesh file. Repeat for meshes of other resolutions.
Exported the 1 material that is used.
Created the cfg correctly.

Trying to open the skeleton file in the Inspector throws this message:

---------------------------
Inspector
Failed to load "F:\\Autodesk.CharacterGenerator\Cal3d\ACG_mSkel.cs f":

Warning: Could not find plugin to read objects from file "F:\\Autodesk.CharacterGenerator\Cal3d\ACG_mSkel.cs f".

So why is following the vizard instructions failing again?

Vaquero
02-24-2016, 05:34 PM
Of course, trying to open the cfg file in the Inspector throws this message:

Inspector
Failed to load "F:\Autodesk.CharacterGenerator\Cal3d\AUTCC_mSkel_l ow_Chris_crowd.cfg":

Vaquero
02-24-2016, 05:41 PM
I tried with the standard skeleton, and I used Autodesks script to convert it to Biped, but it just wouldn't work.
Converted to Biped and exported as xsf the skeleton file looks like in the attachment.

Vaquero
02-24-2016, 05:45 PM
NEVERMIND!
I really made a typo in the CFG file, where a comment was missing the leading #!