PDA

View Full Version : Mesh and Texture Import Problem!

kfootball15
03-07-2014, 08:52 AM
Hello Guys,

I am having a problem with importing a character mesh into Vizard.

You can see in the attached file that the character imports with no textures and the skeleton is dragging some vertices far away from the mesh.

Any idea what the problem could be? I am exporting from 3ds max

Erikvdb
03-11-2014, 01:58 AM
Try putting a Reset Xform on the mesh in 3Ds Max, that might do the trick for the mesh. As for the textures, make sure your materials have the correct naming conventions and that the textures are in the same folder as the avatar.

Veleno
03-11-2014, 10:41 AM
The mesh issue looks like unskinned verticies. Make sure that every vertex has a bone weight on top of it and that you don't have any modifiers above Skin.

For the texture issue, make sure each material is tagged with the appropriate suffix, re-export the mesh, then re-export the materials. If you aren't aware of the tags, use a sequential number in square brackets counting up from 0.

E.g.:
Head[0]
Body[1]
Hair[2]

During a mesh export, the exporter looks for the tags to assign material IDs to each of the meshes, so the tags need to be added before exporting the mesh for it to work correctly. You'll also want to make sure you add the materials in the CFG file in this same order, so I often add the number suffix onto the material file as well to keep track.

I'd also recommend exporting the materials in XML format so they can easily be modified in a text editor later. Don't use XML for meshes - plain text is too slow for them.