PDA

View Full Version : The memory could not be "read" error when starting Vizard 4

Salvar
04-30-2012, 06:20 PM
Hi.

I'm having some issues after I updated Vizard 4 from Beta to the latest version. Earlier today I launched Vizard 4 on a seldom used computer, and was greeted with a "Your beta licence has expired, please register" screen. I registered with a development key and everything worked fine. I ran an update check, followed the link, downloaded the latest version, installed it and was preparing to get on with my work when this happened:

-----------------------------------------------------
Event Type: Information
Event Source: Application Popup
Event Category: None
Event ID: 26
Date: 4/30/2012
Time: 4:31:54 PM
User: N/A
Computer: SR-01817
Description:
Application popup: Vizard 4.0 Development (32-bit): Vizard.exe -
Application Error : The instruction at "0x004092fc" referenced memory
at "0x00000004". The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program
-----------------------------------------------------

This happens every time I try to launch Vizard 4. Vizard 3 works fine. Reinstalling Vizard 4 did nothing. Clicking Cancel to debug does nothing. I'm currently checking the RAM and drivers and such to rule that out, but I wanted to check here as well to make sure there isn't something weird going on with Vizard.

Is there a way to completely uninstall Vizard 4? When I reinstalled, it still said "Development" when I tried to run it, indicating that the licence information didn't get uninstalled. Is there a way to completely nuke the entire thing?

Salvar
04-30-2012, 11:45 PM
Oh yeah, and the OS is Windows XP, latest service pack.

farshizzo
05-01-2012, 11:38 AM
After uninstalling Vizard 4, are there any files remaining in the installation folder (e.g. C:\Program Files\WorldViz\Vizard4)?

farshizzo
05-01-2012, 11:50 AM
Also, not sure this will help, but you can try deleting the Vizard 4 application data after uninstalling. For Windows XP, it should be located at C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\WorldViz\Vizard4.

Salvar
05-01-2012, 12:45 PM
I removed any leftovers in Program Files when I uninstalled before, but I haven't tried getting rid of the application data. Will try that after this extremely long chkdsk process finishes. Thanks.

Salvar
05-01-2012, 05:23 PM
Nope, that didn't work. After completely removing any and every reference to Vizard 4 (using Revo Uninstaller), even a fresh evaluation download installed as Vizard 4 Development and gave the exact same error. Vizard 4 just won't run on this computer.

Salvar
05-02-2012, 01:26 PM
Update: This was probably not Vizard's fault, as the same error started popping up elsewhere. Chalked it up to a corrupt registry and wiped the machine clean. Thanks for the help though.