PDA

View Full Version : Avatar Animation with QTM Plugin

Albinus
04-04-2012, 11:47 AM
Hello,

I work for a lab that is trying to develop a way to control an avatar's limbs in real time using motion capture via the Qualisys Track Manager and QTM plugin for Vizard.

The system I currently have set up uses rigid body data from QTM and links them to various bones of the avatar. When I change the orientation of a rigid body, the corresponding bone will change accordingly.

However, bone positioning relative to each other does not work in the slightest. The limbs move incredibly far from the torso, and are at improper heights, and distort the avatar mesh to rather disturbing proportions. At first, I thought it was because I identified each rigid body in QTM individually, before placing it on my body. Identifying all the rigid bodies in one capture session in the proper places on my body did not solve the problem.

In QTM, each marker and corresponding bodies appear to be in place, and follow my movements smoothly and correctly. I do not know whether the problem is due to a mistake I made in QTM, or if it's an error in my Vizard code.

I've tried using preTrans() and setOffset() to fix the bone positioning, but no luck thus far.

If anyone could offer any help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Jeff
04-05-2012, 05:07 PM
Our supported workflow for animating an avatar using tracking data uses MotionBuilder and our Live Characters (http://www.worldviz.com/products/livecharacters/index.html) plug-in.

You will need re-targeting and possibly inverse kinematics for bones that are in our avatars that you may not have rigid bodies for in your software.