PDA

View Full Version : Improving Performance

lucalatini
02-10-2004, 06:19 AM
hello,

I need some hints to improve the performance of my program when I look at geometrically complex parts of the environment.

1. Obviously the main solution is to upgrade my hardware. nVidia GeForce 4 or better are the best choice but what about the new ATI graphics cards (Radeon 9200...)? And, by the way, does Vizard have any problems with AMD processors?

2. Secondly, I suppose that to improve performance I must carefully control the software running on the computer during the virtual navigation. That is, I must minimize background processes, make no other applications run and eliminate network connection. Am I right?

3. Finally, I don't succeed in displaying statistics to check polygon and texture usage . How can I do it?

Best,
luca

farshizzo
02-10-2004, 11:31 AM
Hi Luca,

ATI Radeon cards should work fine with Vizard along with the latest nVidia cards. We are not aware of any problems with AMD processors. In general it would be a good idea to close most processes especially ones that take up a lot of memory. The polygon and texture usage has not been fully implemented yet, but will be working in the next release.

Make sure you aren't using any big textures. When I say big, I don't mean file size, but the dimensions (width x height). Also, make sure your texture dimensions are a power of 2 (i.e 16,32,64,128,256, etc..). If you have a texture that isn't a power of 2, Vizard might be rounding it up to the nearest dimension, which would increase the memory usage by a lot.

Another thing to note is that if you are adding the same object multiple times then you should consider cloning it instead:
for x in range(0,10):
object = viz.add('object.wrl')
Depending on the size of object.wrl this could take up a lot of memory. Instead clone it:
original = viz.add('object.wrl')
for x in range(0,9):
object = original.clone()
Also, you might want to try removing certain objects from your world to see how it affects performance. This way you can tell where the problem areas are.

Good luck!