PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic shadows...

djdesmangles
05-04-2007, 03:40 AM
Hello Wizards !!

I would like to know if RC1 support dynamic shadow now ? And how can I use it ?

There's a problem in RC1. At the bottom of the GUI, there's a small colored band with the python shell... If I type something like "print 2 + 3" it's working fine. But if I type "help()", Vizard just freezes....

viz.FOREVER
D.

k_iwan
05-04-2007, 06:21 PM
Dynamic Shadow? were you referring to real-time stencil shadow?
As fas as I know, RC1 does not have this feature yet.

Regards,
k_iwan

farshizzo
05-04-2007, 09:06 PM
Hi,

RC1 does not have support for stencil shadows. It can support projected texture shadows though. These are good if you just want all the objects to cast shadows onto a ground suface, with no self shadowing. I can supply you with a sample script if you are interested.

Thanks for reporting the bug. I will try to fix it for the next release.

djdesmangles
05-05-2007, 04:20 PM
Too bad... I was waiting for it...

k_iwan
05-06-2007, 02:54 AM
@djdesmangles:

May I ask what is your application? perhaps, the level of realism can be altered/improved by using diffuse texture and multiply it's color value with the lightmap texture. In my experience, Baking Light information would suit in certain VR scenarios.

I would love to have it (dynamic stencil shadows), but Blender and Yafray pretty much do the tricks for me.

It's good to find out, what type of scenario you have, type of lights required, and length of the scenario. Then you might be able to justify if 'baking' is an option to improve realism level in your scene.

Kind Regards,
Iwan

djdesmangles
05-06-2007, 12:21 PM
Hello Iwan,

I'm really glad to see that my thread is so popular... :D I don't have any particular application that I'm working on that requered "dynamic shadow". As a matter in fact, I already know the Virtools platform and I'm migrating to Vizard. So I'm comparing step by step the functions and I've discovered that Vizard doesn't support dynamic shadow.

I've downloaded OpenSceneGraph and I've found a example of dynamic shadow in the package. It's based on vertex painting and I'm studying the possibility to extend Vizard with a dlm of my own... I'm curious about what Farshizzo is thinking it...

viz.FOREVER,
D.